8 Amazing Benefits of Prickly Pear (Nopal) Cactus
Prickly pear, also called Nopal cactus is healthy edible cactus (Genus Opuntia) high in fibers, aminoacids, nutrients, vitamins and minerals! Prickly pear mostly grows in Mexico and in United States. It is known in many countries around the world in culinary uses such as salads, vegetable dishes, desserts and appetizers, breads, beverages, drinks, jelly and even candy. Prickly pear is more and more being recognized for its health benefits, medical uses and also as weight loss aid!
Prickly pear cactus is prepared in many ways, either grilled, boiled, pressed into juice, made into jams and more. The fruit, called “prickly pears” are very sweet and can be eaten raw. Prickles (sharp spines) must be removed, obviously, since they are very dangerous. The edible parts of nopal cactus are the fruit, stems, leaves and flowers.
In this article we will cover some of the known benefits of Nopal cactus genus Opuntia that is used as an extract in weight loss supplements.
Some prickly pear benefits are:
– supporting immune system
– providing good source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals
– helping regulate blood sugar
– easing digestion and stomach problems
– protecting nerve cells from damage
– reducing fatigue and improving energy levels
– reducing cholesterol
– supporting weight loss
1. Prickly Pear Supports Immune System
2. Great Source of Antioxidants, Vitamins and Minerals
Another study also confirmed that prickly pear is strong anti-oxidant. It decreases oxidative stress and improves antioxidant status in body better than vitamin C alone. Prickly pear does contain high amount of vitamin C but it seems that because of other plant molecules, pigments, nutrients and chemical interactions it is able to provide better anti-oxidant effect compared to vitamin C. (2)
Prickly pear is very rich in fiber, nutrients and vitamin content, including Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, A and K, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and minerals such as iron, copper, manganese, potassium and calcium. It is also rich in other organic compounds like polysaccharides and phytochemicals that support your health.
3. Prickly Pear Regulates Blood Sugar
4. Helps Digestion and Relieves Stomach Problems
5. Protects Nerve Cells
6. Reduces Fatigue and Boosts Energy Levels
7. Reduces Cholesterol and Supports Liver Function
8. Prickly Pear (Nopal Cactus) Supports Weight Loss
Nopal cactus helps you lose weight by helping your body manage hormonal balance, regulate enzyme function, promote healthy muscle gain and tone entire body. It also helps you gain more control over your hunger.
Another amazing benefit of prickly pear is that it can help flush excess fluids from tissues into your bloodstream. Many obese people have problem with fluids accumulating in tissue due to their unhealthy lifestyle or other health problems. Even cellulite is a problem of body fluids accumulating in wrong places and is not always caused by fat cells. Prickly pear helps you lose weight and reduces celulite.
Because of all these amazing benefits of prickly pear cactus, also called Nopal, some companies choose to add Nopal extract to their weight loss formulas.
PhenQ diet pill is a high quality multi-focused weight loss supplement that uses Nopal extract as one of its unique ingredients. If you are looking into ways to lose some extra pounds easily and naturally check PhenQ, it already helped almost 200,000 people!
1. Antiviral effects of Opuntia, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8783800
2. Prickly pear as antioxidant, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15277160
3. Hypoglycemic action of Opuntia in patiens with type II diabetes, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2557805
4. Nopal cactus (Opuntia) research, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25232708
5. Benefits of Prickly pear juice, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820065/